Keynote Speaker ZDoggMD Highlights Conference
- WHAT: More than 1,500 physician leaders and health care experts will convene in Fort Worth for TexMed 2014 — the Texas Medical Association’s(TMA’s) annual conference. The focus of the two-day meeting is to examine critical health care policies and develop strategies that will create positive change for Texas’ patients and their physicians.
- WHEN: Friday-Saturday, May 2-3, 2014
- WHERE: Fort Worth Convention Center, Fort Worth
- WHO: Zubin Damania, MD (ZDoggMD), TexMed’s keynote speaker at 4 pm Friday, May 2, will delve into the ethical challenges to delivering outstanding care in a troubled health care system, while proposing ways to revitalize it. He will discuss the everyday strife physicians’ face in a highly regulated system while highlighting ways doctors can bring joy back into the practice of medicine. Dr. Damania created a unique primary care/wellness practice as part of leading a downtown revitalization effort in Las Vegas. He believes the American health care system does not perform primary care well. Yet through good primary care, one can treat — or better yet prevent — most costly illnesses. “Fix primary care,” he says, “and you fix medicine.” Dr. Damania says he wants to create a new system that will empower doctors to retain their passion for patient care. If you can’t be there in person, watch a video stream of Dr. Damania’s talk at 5:30 pm CT.
- WHY: Texas’ physician leaders meet three times a year to discuss and move health care policies forward. TexMed 2014 is TMA’s largest meeting, packed with timely ideas for future health stories. Check out the 80-plus hours of continuing medical education courses for Texas physicians. Here are just a few of the programs offered during the conference:
- Choosing Wisely®: Do you really need that test? This program encourages conversations between physicians and their patients about the appropriateness of medical tests and procedures that may be unnecessary.
- Let’s Get Active … and Healthier! The workshop brings physicians together to discuss health and fitness practices they use to improve patient care and overall quality of life.
- Partners in Public Health: Physicians will learn how to ensure their patients have access to fundamental public health services from infancy to death.
- Practice Transformation presented by TMA’s Physician Services Organization, which is developing a plan to help TMA physicians adapt to the rapidly change health care marketplace.
Reporters, please join us at TexMed 2014. Call for interviews on any of the subjects presented during the two-day conference (or almost any health care topic), and we’ll connect you with a physician expert during the conference or after. If attending in person, call Pam Udall at (512) 413-6807 or Brent Annear at (512) 656-7320 upon arriving at the TexMed registration desk to help minimize your hassle and quickly find what and who you need.
TMA is the largest state medical society in the nation, representing more than 47,000 physician and medical student members. It is located in Austin and has 112 component county medical societies around the state. TMA’s key objective since 1853 is to improve the health of all Texans.